Outside Employment

Normally, graduate student time is fully occupied with academics and assigned duties as a Research Assistant or a Teaching Assistant. Therefore, students holding TA or RA appointments are generally not allowed to accept outside employment. In those very rare cases when it is appropriate for the student to seek limited employment beyond the appointment, explicit permission must be obtained from both the project supervisor and the Chair of the Departmental Committee on Graduate Studies.

Participation of the graduate student in the advisor's outside professional activities may be mutually advantageous. Advance approval by the Department Head is required.

International students with a full time Teaching Assistantship or Research Assistantship usually cannot apply for other employment during a period of regular enrollment. They should consult with theInternational Students Office.

Please refer to theOffice of the Dean for Graduate Educationfor more information.